More Actions for Week of Jan. 16
TUESDAY, JAN. 17 - THREE ACTIONS
(1) DEFEND DRAG STORY HOUR - NYC
WHERE: 127 E. 58TH ST (B/T PARK AND LEX)
WHEN: 9:30 AM ET - 11 AM ET
This branch of the New York Public Library is hosting a bilingual Drag Story Hour in Cantonese and English. A local drag artist will read picture books, sing songs, and lead other age-appropriate activities. LGBTQIA+ activists and allies will gather to prevent fascists from disrupting the program.
(2) FOX IS GOP TV - NYC
WHERE: 48TH AND 6TH
WHEN: 12 PM ET - 1 PM ET
Join the activists of Truth Tuesdays and Rise and Resist at their weekly protest in front of Rupert Murdoch's propaganda network. This week's theme is that Fox's biggest, most harmful lie is calling itself "Fair and Balanced" when the network has strategically pushed the GOP to MAGA right-wing extremism.
(3) HOLD SANTOS ACCOUNTABLE - NY AND BEYOND
WHEN: 8 PM ET
We need to eject compulsive liar and GOP stooge George "Is that even his real name" Santos from the House of Representatives. Join this new weekly call to find out about in-district events in New York, and what how you can help out-of-district -- because this is an issue of national importance.
WEDNESDAY, JAN. 18
CLIMATE LOBBYING DAY IN ALBANY - NY STATE
WHERE: THE CONCOURSE IN ROOM 1, STATE CAPITOL
WHEN: 9:30 AM ET MEET-UP
Join NY Renews for its Climate, Jobs, and Justice grassroots lobby day in New York's state capitol. If you're in Albany or driving there yourself, you can proceed directly to the meet-up in the Concourse. If you need help arranging transportation from another location, including New York City, you can request that via the RSVP form.
- RSVP and get more information here.
- CAN'T BE IN ALBANY? Use Resistbot to lobby your state officials about another crucial issue. Text the word STATE to 50409 and say that Governor Kathy Hochul must not name anti-abortion, anti-union justice Hector LaSalle to the highest judicial position in New York. She can't promise to keep New York state a safe haven for abortion and support LaSalle too. We see her hypocrisy, and we call on our state senators to block the nomination if she won't withdraw it.
THURSDAY, JAN. 19
(1) TAX THE RICH; INVEST IN NEW YORK - NYC RALLY
WHERE: 740 PARK AVE (AT 71ST ST)
WHEN: 12 PM ET - 1 PM ET
New York State is the most economically unequal state in the country, and 740 Park Avenue has the highest concentration of billionaires in the state. New York's richest (those earning $30 million and above) have nearly $7 trillion in wealth, most of which will never be taxed. Meanwhile, working-class and low-income New Yorkers are struggling to make ends meet. That's not right. Join the activists of Invest in Our New York (IONY) to demand New York State tax extreme wealth and invest in communities.
(2) INDIVISIBLE CALL ON AFFORDABLE HOUSING - NY STATE
- RSVP on Facebook. As with all in-person actions, you don't have to stay for the entire event. Even walking by to take a photo for social media is helpful.
- CAN'T MAKE IT IN PERSON? Text the word STATE to 50409 to use Resistbot to make the same "TAX THE RICH" demand of Governor Hochul, your state senator, and your state assembly person. You can do all that in one two-minute text through the magic of Resistbot!
WHEN: 8 PM ET - 9 PM ET
Anyone in New York State (and curious people from other states) can join Indivisible's monthly statewide call. The focus will be on affordable housing, with facilitators from the Housing Justice for All Coalition. You'll learn more about this issue and how to support local housing fights in your community.
FRIDAY, JAN. 20
MAKE PLANS FOR ROE'S 50TH ANNIVERSARY - WISCONSIN & NATIONAL
Sunday is the 50th anniversary of Roe v. Wade. There will be marches for abortion rights all over the country starting today. If you're in the midwest, national organizers are emphasizing a "Bigger Than Roe" march in Madison, Wis. Why there? Because there is a chance to overturn Wisconsin's 2022 abortion ban in the near future. More from the organizers:
- The primary for a new state Supreme Court Justice is on February 21 -- a month from now. The general election will take place on April 4.
- The Wisconsin Supreme Court currently has a 4-3 conservative majority. If a pro-choice candidate wins this seat, we could overturn the abortion ban in Wisconsin.
- RSVP, get more details, and inquire about the Madison march here.
- If you're not going to Wisconsin, find a local march here. Please note that some marches are taking place today and Saturday so check ahead of time so you don't miss taking action.
SATURDAY, JAN. 21
LOCAL MARCHES FOR ROE ANNIVERSARY - NATIONAL
As stated above, some Roe v. Wade 50th anniversary marches are taking place today. Find the nearest in-person or virtual event here. Remember that you never have to stay for an entire in-person event. If you can only spare a few minutes, go to the event and take photos to share on social media. That helps get the message out!
SUNDAY, JAN. 22
(1) ROE V. WADE ACTIONS - NATIONAL
On the 50th anniversary of Roe v. Wade, look for an abortion-rights action in your area. Remember, the national focus is on Madison, Wis.
(2) ROE V. WADE ACTIONS - NYC
-- Indivisible Activate NYC 2023 newsletter #3, curated by Wendy Brandes, who will be marching with the black feminists!
- 12 PM ET - 2 PM ET, WASHINGTON SQUARE PARK, BIGGER THAN ROE MARCH HOSTED BY BLACK FEMINISTS MATTER. The meet-up place is the arch in Washington Square Park. The march will go down Broadway to Wall Street. From the organizers: "Please bring your own posters and face masks! This is a 100% peaceful protest by a black woman for black women, allies are welcomed." See event page for more info and to volunteer with set-up/clean-up.
- 1 PM ET, ST. PATRICK'S CATHEDRAL, 50TH & 5TH. Bring pots, pans, drums, horns, and other noisemakers to drown out the Mass for Life taking place inside the Cathedral. The Archdiocese of New York has openly stated its goal of ending abortion here, and it hosts and collaborates with extremists that harass patients at clinics in the city. More info on Instagram.
Disclaimer: By choosing to attend any events listed herein, I acknowledge the risks involved, and that I agree to participate non-violently and in accordance with the law. During some events, acts of civil disobedience may be initiated by individual participants. I acknowledge and agree neither Indivisible Activate NYC nor the newsletter writer can be held responsible for any such acts of individual participants which are unlawful, nor are Indivisible Activate NYC or the newsletter writer soliciting my participation in any such activity. I agree that I am solely responsible for any decision to participate in any acts of civil disobedience and any consequences, legal or otherwise, that may result from that decision.
- The FAQ about this newsletter can be found on this Google doc.