Glendalough, the Valley of Two Lakes is the perfect place to be still and listen...
"Glendalough has attracted pilgrims and visitors over many centuries for its hallowed surroundings, its traditions and its stunning scenery."
What mysteries do the ancient stones of Glendalough hold...
The saying “Visiting Glendalough is seven visits to Rome”
became common, and many still pilgrimage to Glendalough today - we hope that you will join us!
"Great is the pilgrimage of Coemgen,
If men should perform it aright;
To go seven times to their fair is the same
As to go once to Rome."
"The founder of Glendalough, St. Kevin, was known as a gentle soul with a great affinity for nature and for animals. As Kevin’s fame spread as a holy man, more and more followers were attracted to the area and a monastic city rose up and flourished. For centuries after his death, Glendalough was a thriving community with both monks and a large lay population living together. Centuries later, Glendalough became known as a center of learning that rivaled Clonmacnoise in influence."
"As the centuries passed, Glendalough became famous as a pilgrimage center, with pilgrims traveling to the lakes to confess wrongdoing and, importantly, to seek healing. Glendalough is filled with the stone ruins of the past centuries: a round tower, a gateway, chapels, churches and many graves marked with Celtic crosses."
"Through intricate motions ran
Stream and gliding sun..."
~ "Stream And Sun At Glendalough" by W. B. Yeats
Gleann Dá Loch ~ Valley of the Two Lakes
Celtic Way Pilgrimages holds our time in Glendalough, 2 1/2 days of our Sacred Ireland journey, as the jewel in the crown of our Ireland stay. Our walks will take place in the mornings and afternoons will be available for solitary space and times of deepening. There is also a beautiful visitors centre with a wonderful interactive exhibit which tells the precise history of the monastic city and houses fascinating relics from the past.
Everything we learn and experience prior will be leading up to the quiet wonder that is effervescent in Glendalough. And our local guides will lead us on silent walks through the ruins of a monastic community - now designated a nature preserve as well - by the beautiful lakes, making sure that there is every opportunity to connect with the "thin places", the holy, and the times to listen quietly as we follow the beckoning pathways.
Be sure and read our two articles that talk about the wonders of Glendalough here and here.
Now is the time to get your application + $25 non-refundable application fee in! We will gather applications for the next month or two and then issue the invitations to join us for our May & September pilgrimages!
Celtic Way Pilgrimages 2022 Dates:
May 2022, Celtic Way Pilgrimages
Sacred Ireland: May 3rd - 11th
Iona, Scotland: May 11th - 16th
September 2022, Celtic Way Pilgrimages
Sacred Ireland: September 20th - 28th
Iona, Scotland: September 28th - October 3rd
What mysteries do the ancient stones of Glendalough hold?
Celtic Way Pilgrimages Offered Discounts:
- A $100 "double booking" discount is offered to each of two traveling companions that book at the same time and who will share a room on either Pilgrimage. $100 discount only offered to one Pilgrimage if both are booked.
- A $100 discount is offered for those booking the Iona Pilgrimage in conjunction with the Ireland Pilgrimage. $50 will be discounted from the cost of Sacred Ireland and $50 from the cost of Iona, Scotland. This discount is available to those that receive the "double-booking" discount as well!
- With the exception of one beautiful public bus ride (St. Kevin's bus to Glendalough!) - all transportation in Ireland is via private coach!
- All entrance fees, local guides, breakfasts and two wonderful dinners are included in the total cost of your pilgrimage.
- All guests will receive a copy of A Celtic Liturgy by Pat Robson to use on our journey and beyond.
An "outer journey" - "inner journey" mindset is central to Celtic Way Pilgrimages
What this means is we start with historical and cultural context! In Sacred Ireland for example, the order of our journey begins with an Irish history overview then follows with the introduction of Christianity in Ireland and St. Patrick. From St. Patrick we move to St. Columba and St. Brigid and the golden era of Celtic Monasticism where we spend time in amazing Clonmacnoise. This then leads us through Durrow and a quieter, contemplative time begins by heading into Glendalough for two days of beautiful retreat in the ruins of St. Kevin's 6th century monastic settlement!
The mysterious beauty of Clonmacnoise, Ireland, founded in 544 by St. Ciaran
More about our Sacred Ireland Itinerary!
- - History tour of Dublin, cathedrals and Book of Kells
- - Hill of Tara, where centuries of Irish kings are entombed in ancient burial mounds
- - Downpatrick, UK - Patrick Centre, only museum in the world entirely focused on St. Patrick and near to the first church he founded - also Down Cathedral where Saints Patrick, Columba and Brigid - all three patron saints of Ireland - are buried
- - Kildare - see and experience Brigid's cathedral where she and her nuns kept a perpetual flame, climb the high tower there, and pray at her holy well
- - Clonmacnoise - the finest remaining example of a Celtic Christian's "golden age" monastic city built on the banks of the River Shannon
- - Durrow - a secluded and spiritual church with beautiful high crosses and St. Columba's holy well for quiet contemplation
- - Glendalough - two days of retreat in outer beauty in Glendalough's famed nature preserve and then inner journey with silent walks let by local spiritual guides...
- - Back to Dublin for our last day together and lovely farewell dinner at one of Dublin's most beautiful restaurants.
About Culture Honey Touring
Culture Honey Touring is an outgrowth of our online travel and culture magazine, CultureHoney.com. There we seek to offer insight into global and cultural exploration, thinking, and experience. Our approach to travel and culture is the same: a holistic view with a humanitarian heart and an eye toward justice. Our mission with the magazine and with Culture Honey Touring is to underscore and celebrate the sweetness and abundance that Life is offering!
Our tours and pilgrimages will never have more than 12 guests, no flags to follow or matching t-shirts to don. All of our pilgrimages and tours are planned with expert Historians (Masters +) and experts in the field of focus. While you will make your own airline arrangements to the beginning destination, en country transportation costs are included, as well as entrance fees, en country experts and many of our meals. Our holistic philosophy of honoring culture will be our guide on all the adventures we offer.
Our footprint will be small, but our hearts will be open!
About Celtic Way Pilgrimages
At Culture Honey, we have a special affinity for Ireland, Scotland and all things Celtic Christian Spirituality. We have written many articles about travel to these lovely countries and the benefits of the Celtic pathway to the modern, spiritual, and holistic human experience. Our favorite influences are David Whyte, John Philip Newell, and Richard Rohr to name a few! We have experienced the beauty in these serene and sometimes rugged destinations and we have known the peace that the spiritual practices of liturgy, silence and meditation offer us. We have enjoyed and benefited greatly from learning the historical stories and significance of the places we plan to visit. Now it is our great joy to offer to share these things with you!
Sacred Ireland and Iona, Scotland!
We are looking for fellow pilgrims in search of rest, healing, and beauty as well as those seeking tools with which to stay grounded in the fast-paced modern world. Available as separate journeys or together as one, space is limited to 12 guests for our Sacred Ireland, Celtic Way Pilgrimage and 12 guests for our Iona, Scotland, Celtic Way Pilgrimage, one each taking place in May and September 2022.
For More Information:
You can also visit our Facebook page @culturehoneytouring.com –
we hope you will "like" & "follow" us there today!