For this issue of our bi-weekly newsletter, rather than spotlighting particular volunteers, we are instead spotlighting a very serious situation that needs our attention.
Human trafficking is happening right here in Mississippi. It's happening in our communities. And it's happening to people we know. The state of Mississippi has five task forces in place - one of which is in Northeast Mississippi (Tupelo) - doing their best to investigate and bring a halt to these horrific crimes.
To bring awareness to the reality of drug trafficking, Mississippians Against Human Trafficking is asking everyone to participate in a social media campaign on October 28 (see details below).
If you have information that law enforcement needs to know about, please contact the national hotline:
You are also encouraged to follow them on facebook, where you can view a video and find out valuable information about human trafficking.
FEATURED VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES
S.A.F.E. is looking for volunteers in two capacities:
(1) a skilled carpenter who can repair their handicap ramp. They will supply all the materials. Click here if you can help.
(2) a facilities maintenance person who can help with power washing, landscaping, and painting. Click here if you can help.
At the Nonprofit and Volunteer Fair, you can
- Find out ways to volunteer.
- Discover all the services provided by area nonprofits.
- Learn how your monetary donations are spent.
This event is FREE and open to the public. There will also be door prizes, a celebrity dunking booth, a children's corner, and free flu shots to uninsured adults.
Come to downtown Tupelo for the Nonprofit and Volunteer Fair then head over to Fairpark for live music at Down on Main!