All the shows we loved best in 2020. Also, how to get signed books of mine!
You can get my books! And let's also talk TV.
I have a list of the best TV shows we binged in 2020 below in this email, and I'd love to hear your favorites too! But first, book update:
My signing at Paper Boat Booksellers was a delight! I hadn't realized how tired I was of being in my own house until I got to hang out at a thriving, friendly bookstore for a couple of hours. Masked, of course, but even so, meeting and chatting with customers, employees, and friends who dropped in made it a lovely Saturday. Huge thank you to everyone who came!
I signed all the copies of Lava Red Feather Blue that Paper Boat has in stock, so if you want to order a signed one through them, you can! Just email or call them to arrange that—they can ship to you:
My husband and I don't binge-watch TV as fast as many other people do, to judge from conversations and social media, but with 2020 having less going on outside the house, and with us being in need of distraction, we did end up watching an episode or two most nights of the year. We thus went through a fair amount of streaming TV, and these are the winners!
- epic clan-rivalry-with-magic-in-ancient-China type of story
- plunged me deep into fangirl mode, and husband enjoyed it too!
- totally bizarre (pro tip: the first two or three episodes are confusing, but stick with it; you'll get it!) but cute, lovable, charismatic, addictive, heartbreaking
- costume gorgeousness
- super gay despite Chinese censors, and very romantically so
The Durrells in Corfu
- utterly hilarious
- bawdy yet sweet
- gorgeous scenery
- animals! and craziest family ever
- based on real people!
- won all the awards for good reason
- so freaking funny
- you end up loving everyone
- happy queer people! no homophobia!
- so awkward yet so funny and so relatable
- oddly sweet and kind, despite explicitness
- all the sexualities and kinks
- another season coming!
The Dragon Prince
- good family viewing
- brought to you by Avatar: the Last Airbender people
- dragons! elves! royals!
- very silly jokes
IN PROGRESS; DO NOT SPOIL: Lucifer
- who knew the Devil was so adorable?
- fast and loose fun with theology
- also your basic popcorn homicide subplots
- unlikely friendships and romances and therapists
IN PROGRESS; DO NOT SPOIL: The Good Place
- wowsers, good writing!
- can and does go absolutely anywhere with plot
- charismatic sweetie actors
- really really really funny
That is our list for now! What were your wonderful bingeable discoveries of 2020?