The Voice of the Day...
Good Afternoon, NECC Disciples and Friends!
Working on the fly to pass along some updates mid-week. I'm hoping you will especially look at our gathering news below. Some of the hitches in our worship broadcast technology and our ability to meet online with Zoom call-ins and video chat have been resolved. Let's take a new look at the coming days' plan!
"Lenten Sacrifice" has taken on a new meaning for many of us. Those who are working in healthcare, food provision, and other essential services are especially in my prayers these days. I trust that you and yours are safe and practicing all the right actions that will help stem the tide of this virus. Please stay in touch with me, as we continue to watch and wait in the wonder of God's transcendent love!
Grace and Peace!
Rev. David T. Chafin
|Your Giving Matters!
During these days of separation, please remember that the church continues its vital ministries and missional commitments.
You are encouraged to use our online giving page,
mail your tithes and offerings on your normal schedule of giving to:
North Eaton Christian Church
35895 Royalton Rd.
Grafton, OH 44044
As always, your giving will be handled confidentially and with great gratitude.
God bless you for the gifts that God has given and that you have shared
as faithful and responsible stewards!
Our Bridge to Gathering
Zoom Issues Fixed
New Plan for Wednesday and Sunday!!!
Your pastor's learning curve is steep, but it just may be that we can do a better job connecting as a faith community. Nothing is a perfect system, but having simplified the process, any announced Zoom meetings will be easier than ever to find and get into. See details below schedule.
Handy Tips: So here's what you do when a gathering or meeting is announced:
1. Write down this Meeting ID number: 3024710967. Most posts will have a link directly to that meeting number, but if you don't have access to it, that's the only thing you'll need to remember.
- Midweek Morning Check-in on Wednesday at 10 a.m. (Chat with Pastor and others)
- Midweek Evening Check-in on Wednesday at 7 p.m. (Chat with Pastor and others)
- Sunday Worship Watch Party (also on Facebook Live - see below) and Virtual Coffee Hour begins at 9:00 a.m. (Bring along your communion elements, and come as you are). Remember: It's the last Sunday of the month, so we will be celebrating birthdays and anniversaries at the coffee hour! Bring your own cake.
2. If it's a committee meeting or private conversation, you'll be issued a passcode to get in. For our worship and coffee hour times, and mid-week check-ups there will be no password. The more the merrier!
3. Invite your friends to join you, either by phone or online at Zoom.com.
4. To join us by phone, simply dial 301-715-8592 or 253-215-8782, and when prompted, enter the meeting ID (302 471 0967).
5. If you are working from a smart phone, yup, there's an app for that to simplify your experience. Check your app store at Google or Apple for the Zoom app. If you have an emailed link to the meeting, you can just click to go to it. If not, just enter the meeting ID (302 471 0967).
6. If you're working from your phone or computer's internet browser, go to Zoom.com, where you'll see a button to "join meeting". Click it and enter the meeting ID (302 471 0967).
7. If you arrive early, you'll be in the dungeon called "the waiting room." Don't panic if the meeting doesn't start on time. Only we can push the button that makes it happen and frees you from your solitude!
8. If/when you get bored or need to move on, you can pretend to be there (using a well-crafted cardboard cutout or manequin of yourself, or mute your phone or video, or just say goodbye. Be ready to be virtually hugged on your way out the door.
Zoom offers a new way for us to have conversation time together. You can just phone in to listen and speak, or go online from your computer or smart phone with the app, and see and be seen as well. Send an email to email@example.com or call him at 878-379-4458 if you're interested in joining in but have questions.
Be sure to read the article below about our Livestreamed Worship - you do NOT need to join Facebook to tune in!
Coming Events Updated
Midview School Meal Pickup has been changed to Eaton Estates by the park.
***But note: A food pantry is being set up for students' families for each Thursday at the Middle School from 10-2. Each family will receive a box of non-perishables. Please pass this word along, and note that NECC is collecting and purchasing food to help supplement this needed outreach. If you have food, it can be delivered to our East entry (the doors are always unlocked); checks or other donations can be made as well, according to the black box above. Your support is much appreciated!
have been a wonderful tradition at our church, as with many. Unfortunately, it will not be possible to proceed with our usual process of ordering flowers for worship this year. Along with planning for the Easter Worship, watch for updates of how we plan to brighten the day of Resurrection! Those who have already ordered flowers will receive a refund very soon.
our monthly newsletter, will be preempted this month, as this twice-per-week Voice of the Day
is continued to be published. However, we will be updating the calendar, and the prayer list, for those who wish to see it. Watch for those to appear next week. If you have news
or phone it into the church office (440-748-2230) by March 30.
Reminders from Last Week:
- The Free Concert that is normally held on the first Sunday of each month is postponed for April and TBD for May.
- Free Community Meals -- postponed for the time being.
- Easter Egg Hunt -- Candy donations are appreciated. As we are not able to gather in large groups it will not be our traditional hunt. We are considering simply filling the eggs and making them available in bags of a dozen or more to families to use at home.
- Chance Auction -- We are hoping we will still be able to hold the Auction on April 22 as a big event for the community. Possibly as one of the first community events after the quarantine is lifted? If not, we will consider other options, such as move it back a month or possibly allowing people to come in over a day or two to put their tickets in by the prizes then drawing and calling the winners without an audience. This is a great opportunity for us to support our community as well. In the past, we have been able to ask for and have received many generous donations of products and gift cards from local restaurants and businesses. Now is a great time for us to return the favor by buying gift cards from them. It will help their business with cash flow at this time when business is slow. Also, consider donating products you buy from those who have home-based businesses such as Tastefully Simple, Mary Kay, Pampered Chef, Scentsy, etc.
- Scouts -- Normally when the world goes crazy parents try to keep their children's routine as normal as possible but with quarantines, Scout meetings have been canceled right at the peak fundraising time for Cookies and Syrup/Pancake sales. We can continue to support our Scouts (Boy/Cub Scouts and 4 Girl Scout Troops at NECC) by offering to buy some of their products. Contact Polly to request cookies, maple syrup or pancake mix.
- Sun Catchers -- We will be gathering together again soon. We will still be celebrating the new life we are offered in Christ. As part of that celebration, we are going to fill the windows in the Narthex with sun catchers. In order to do that we need each worshipper to paint one or two sun catchers. I, Polly, am willing to drop sun catchers, paint and brushes off to you and pick them up when you are done. After we have had a week or two to enjoy them on and after Easter, we will send them to our shut-ins and one or two local nursing homes for them to be shared with their residents.
- Food Pantry -- The Food Pantry is open for those who may need some help getting through the current situation. Senior Boxes from Second Harvest are also available for those over 60 and signed up ahead of the first Monday of the month, when food is available for pickup. Contact the church office to get more information on either the Food Pantry or Senior Boxes. Donations are also needed to keep our shelves stocked especially as the quarantine wears on and home pantries begin to empty and money reserves run dry.
- Easter Sunday Services -- We will be gathering together soon. Our Holy Week and Easter worship experiences will clearly be different this year. It may not be a traditional gathering but we will be together. Please watch our Facebook page, as well as your mail and email for more details as we approach Easter Sunday.
READ IT AGAIN:
YOU DON'T HAVE TO HAVE A FACEBOOK ACCOUNT
to watch our live Facebook videos!
It's true! You, and anyone who has access to the internet, may view our public Facebook page, including photos and videos, and other current news of the church, by simply entering www.Facebook.com/neccdisciples into any browser. If you are a Facebook member, you can click to "Like" the page and you'll see it in your feed.
Remember: Sunday Morning Worship begins at 9 a.m. on Facebook and YouTube, and we will watch and share it together live on Zoom
THE ROOF IS OUT FOR BIDS!!!
It is with great joy that the Planning Committee and Trustees have approved the final plan and scope of work for our "Phase One" of the Capital Improvement Project with the architect. He is now opening our much-awaited building project for bids, and will soon provide those to us for selection. That means, given God's grace and your continued support, we should soon be able to join in making a congregational decision to begin the long-awaited improvements! Stay tuned for further updates in the coming weeks.
UPDATED: Current Closures...
In consultation with the Elders and staff of our church, who have acted with confidence in God's provisions for us all, the following protocols are being observed...
- Worship in Our Sanctuary will be suspended at least until Easter Morning. We will advise you long before that of plans for how that gathering may happen, should the case require us to deviate from our "good old normal" church life resuming by then.
- Weddings, Funerals, and other events of religious importance will need to take place outside the church. Currently, we are in prayer for 2 families whose celebrations of loved ones' lives are postponed indefinitely because of COVID-19, and the pastor is not making himself available for anything of that nature that is indoors. Contact him for further discussion of anything upcoming during the present health crisis.
- Meetings face-to-face are only by urgent necessity to continue the operation of the facility and will follow the guidance of the CDC for such occasions when they occur.
- Office Hours will continue (9 a.m. to 1 p.m. weekdays) for the time being, but please call ahead before dropping in to be certain someone is there to receive you. Those who need to be in the building are asked to take proper "social distancing" precautions while there, and to advise us of any concerns they observe regarding sanitation or other needs as they arise.
- Pastoral Ministry will continue unabated, with consideration of the health of all involved, case by case. Persons who have a pastoral need are asked to call the pastor directly at 878-379-4458, even if a message is being left at the church.
We know that this is a time of mixed opinions on these matters, and it has been with a great deal of soul-searching, as well as conversation, that these measures are being taken. Please understand that it is foremost with the interests of the public (of which YOU are a part) in mind. The Church of Jesus Christ has always been a unique People of God--even during times when assembly were under the threat of the sword--even when there were no "church buildings." The gospel goes on, and I trust we will find creative ways to be that Good News in these times of separation, and even grief.
Let's Stay Connected!
As we move through the increasing number of school, business, community shutdowns and the uncertainty this brings, know that the "church" does not shut down. Yes, you are asked to keep your distance and not meet in large groups but the church is about the connections we have beyond the pews in the Sanctuary and the walls of the building. We, the staff and leadership of NECC, will continue to reach out to you via social media, emails, and phone calls, and be available to receive your messages by many avenues...
- Church Office -- 440-748-2230. Regular weekday hours: 9 am - 1 pm. Kathleen will answer, or leave a message for later. If an emergency, please call Rev. Chafin at 878-379-4458. You can email the church at: firstname.lastname@example.org, or the email the pastor at: email@example.com.
- neccdicsiples.com is our website. There's plenty to explore, and you can do your online giving from that page very simply!
- NECC(Disciples of Christ) is our private Facebook group, where you can see items of importance just for the congregation. You'll need to be a member to get all the posts and to share information with others. Note the spacing, and enter this into your Facebook search bar: NECC(Disciples of Christ)
- North Eaton Disciples is our public Facebook page, where anyone, even without Facebook, can see what's happening, watch videos, etc. Share this with your friends: www.facebook.com/neccdisciples. If you're a Facebook member, you can like the page and see every post in your feed as they come up.
- North Eaton Christian Church is another place on Facebook to connect with those who have not migrated to the new page. You'll need to "friend" it in order to interact. Simply type "North Eaton Christian Church" into your search bar.
- YOUTUBE: We have an excellent, growing YouTube Channel. Anyone can go to YouTube.com and search for "North Eaton Christian Church" to see our videos of worship, special music, and other events of interest, and you can join our channel (subscribe--it's free!!!).
- Twitter and Instagram: If you are interested, many items on our Facebook page are also posted to Twitter and Instagram. Look us up using "neccdisciples" in either of these, and follow along. We love to hear from you in return, and to know you share what's happening with your friends!
Please watch for more news of the church here!
Do you need help with basic needs at this time?
Our Food Pantry is stocked,
and we have able bodies who can help with basic resources upon request.
Please call the church at 440-748-2230 (9 a.m. to 1 p.m. weekdays)
or Pastor David at 878-379-4458 (at any hour).